Night Shift Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Rice County District Hospital is seeking a full-time night shift Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The ideal candidate would posses strong work ethic and would be dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of our community.
This position is full time which includes 12 hour shifts from 7pm-7am.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits are offered. Includes shift differential pay for nights and weekends, paid holidays, and generous PTO allowances.
Rice County District Hospital prides itself in having a family-like atmosphere with great employee retention, excellent peer-to-peer support, and a friendly environment.
The LPN is responsible for the assessment, planning, implementing and evaluating the nursing care of all inpatient, swing bed (both skilled and intermediate), and outpatients according to established best practices and procedures. Coordinates the patient’s care and discharge planning with the medical providers and other disciplines in the hospital and in the community.
- Utilizes assessment skills and techniques to determine patient needs and condition upon admission and on an on-going basis.
- Completes and documents the nursing assessment in a thorough and accurate manner.
- Assesses the need for patient/family teaching and provide as needed.
- Makes rounds on all patients.
- Initiate, develop and document patient’s plan of care based on patient’s assessment and medical diagnosis and setting priorities for nursing actions.
- Review and update the plan of care once every 24 hours or as necessary.
- Develops and begins discharge plan on admission and provides referrals to community resources as necessary.
- Provide patient teaching as necessary to family and caretakers and provide written instructions for medications and care upon discharge.
- Collaborates with other health team members in planning and providing care.
- Delegates nursing care of each patient’s needs, including acute, observation, skilled and intermediate levels of care, to team members based on complexity, staff education and competency, state regulations and Hospital District #1 of Rice County policies .
- Must supervise and evaluate the nursing care for each patient, including patients that are in skilled and intermediate level of care.
- Provides safe and comprehensive nursing care according to state regulations, hospital policy and procedures and CMS Standards.
- Establish care priorities based on patient problems; communicate with staff of patient’s problems/concerns/changes in condition. Notify physician promptly regarding concerns.
- Must be proficient in medication administration, including IV therapy. Reports medication errors.
- Perform procedures accurately, completely and safely according to established policy and procedure and physician orders.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients. Uses safety precautions appropriately.
- Demonstrates understanding and utilization of Universal Precautions, asepsis and infection control procedures.
- Maintains strict confidentiality regarding knowledge of all patient (HIPPA) information, staff and confidential hospital business.
- Responsible for establishing and maintain healthy interpersonal relationships with all staff members.
- Responds to phone messages from patients and informs providers as needed.
- Accepts constructive criticism in a positive manner, provides feedback, and takes appropriate action.
- Participates actively in the growth and development of nursing personnel through monthly staff meetings, daily reports, and staff development meetings
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Adheres to established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality improvement, safety, environmental, infection control standards and mission, vision and core values of the hospital.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements; following manufactures instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated competency in the care of patients before, during, and after surgical procedures.
- Ability to act independently and make decisions under stress.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to handle emergency and crisis situations.
Education and Experience:
- Currently licensed as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Kansas
- Graduate from an accredited school of Nursing
- Certification of Basic Life Support within three months, Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Neonatal Resuscitation Program within six months, and Trauma Nursing Core Course certification within one year of hire.
- One year of acute clinical experience in a hospital setting preferable.
- Must have basic computer literacy.
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with patients, patients’ families, physicians and staff.
- Have motor coordination and dexterity required to coordinate hands, eyes, fingers in assisting patients that are elderly, medication, administration and use of certain instruments.
- Have visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication, perceive changes in patient’s condition and medications.
- The ability to lift fifty pounds and assist with others in lifting higher weight ranges.
- Must have basic computer literacy and ability to learn new software programs.
- In a normal work day, may be required to stand and/or walk for 8 hours or longer with frequent bending and reaching.
- Ability to work with families and patients in compromised health situations.
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships with peers and employees.
- Demonstrates kindness, courtesy and compassion to all patients, families, providers, coworkers, and visitors at all times.
- Able to handle stressful situations.
Hospital District #1 of Rice County operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. The operational needs of the nursing department and safety of the patients may require that employees be available to work all shifts, weekends and holidays.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or download and print the Employment Application. The application can be delivered in person or mailed to
Rice County District Hospital
Attn: Human Resources
619 South Clark
Lyons, KS 67554
Rice Community Healthcare does not discriminate employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.